Thursday, July 15, 2010

What Will The New Your Countdown Album Sound Like?

Yeah, if you've been wondering about that, here's the awnser!

Let's start with my last full-album, On My Own Side (released: 30th June 2008). Yes, I'm forgetting Achievements, but that's because of the fact that Achievements was a collection CD with the best of the 5 first albums of Your Countdown. So that doesn't really count.

On My Own Side was an album I made when I was making music for like 1 year and a few months, so you started to hear that there's some potential in the Your Countdown-project. On My Own Side was focussed on bringing you melodies that would get stuck in your head, and some of them quite succeeded in doin' just that. Even now there are some songs on that album that make me think that if I would've made these songs today, that they would've made it to the new album.

Overall genre: Something between Happy Hardcore/R&B/Trance

Next came Silence The Lights - EP (18th April 2010). I made this ep to make a switch from Garageband to Logic Pro, and for a long time it was the best Your Countdown could offer. All its songs were made with a constant tempo of 135 BPM and I'm pretty sure that I've succeeded in making it sound pretty good. I've made a lot of different kind of songs. If you compare Heartbeat to Welcome To My Party and Touch The Sky you hear 3 totally different kind of songs, yet all 135 BPM, and that's what made it such an awesome EP. It made me learn to create a style which is pretty unique. It's difficult to say that my music sounds just like an other artist in my opinion, just because I've made a unique style: the Y-Style if you like :D And, yes, it was not the perfection itself, but it was a damn good EP, and I will never forget how intense me & my producer worked on this one. You have to remember that this was Joni's first ever album he produced, and we just did an awesome job there..

Overall genre: Ambient/Electro/Trance

Let's skip Achievements once again, What Could've Been Yours - EP (18th April 2010) was the live-set I played on my first ever live performance (My participation to a talentshow called "DLO Rockt", I ended as the surprise of the evening) and even though it was just 15 minutes long, it took the best-album-shine of Silence The Light over and that's probably because I had to impress a lot of people in 15 minutes with music they had NEVER heard before. This combined the best of the best, and I also included some new stuff, and with new stuff I mean concepts for the new album! I'm not going to tell you guys which songs did or didn't make it to the final selection of the album, but in that live-set everything worked out just fine and it's a pleasure to know that some people are still playing it frequently.

Overall genre: Trance/Electro/Electroacoustic/Ambient/Alternative

And that brings us to the new album.. Once again I decided to take Joni on board as my producer (which wasn't the case with Achievements and What Could've Been Yours - EP). We are guessing that the album will cost €10 and that it will be released in November or December 2010. Yesterday we sat together while we were putting the new album's tracklist together. And that happened right now, so now it's just a matter of finishing the concepts I made and getting everything done before it will be released!

So what will this album actually be? Well, in total there will be 13 songs on the regular edit of the album (and you can get up to 4 bonus tracks with different edits of the album), and that's the one we'll discuss here.

So a lot of songs will give you this typical Your Countdown-feel, and that pretty nice, but there are also a lot of songs that feel a bit (or sometimes a lot) different than my usual style, and that's pretty cool either. I'm convinced that the new album will give you this double-sided feel of songs which you can listen to on your iPod and songs you have to play loud and dance to, Will there be acoustic instruments? Sure, I love acoustic instruments and a piano is featured in some songs even though I used a lot more strings to make a nice atmosphere in most of the songs. One thing that's sure is that the album will feel a lot more "electric" than previous albums. I will be working on the new album pretty soon, now I know what concepts have made it into the final album, so a lot will change, I suppose.

Overall genre: Trance/Electro/Club/Ambient

This is about to get awesome. Promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment